Happy Days Quilting

A blog about Applique and Quilting

Thursday 23 August 2012

Freemotioning in the ditch

While happily sewing in the ditch this morning on my pickles, I was thinking about what it would be like to sew with a longarm, I always turn my quilts frequently so that they are facing the best way to sew out the designs, but on a longarm the quilt is loaded and its only moved forwards.

So I challenged myself not to turn my quilt as much, I was only freemotioning in the ditch (would definitely not feel comfortable trying this with feathers) and I was happy with how I managed, yes there were some wobbly moments but mostly I got the hang of it quite well.


The above photo is quite dark, but I hope you see what I'm getting at, usually I would turn the quilt so that it was facing me straight on, in the photo its at an angle, ok I know its baby steps but its still its a new skill learnt!

Happy sewing!

1 comment:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

great that you're so comfortable with it...don't think I will ever get there...my own fault for not practicing../